Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Should-ing All Over Yourself

At the last few baby showers I've attended, we filled out some "advice for the new parents" cards.  Mine went something like this for both:  "there are no 'shoulds' for babies, do what works best for you and your family."  

This advice stems from my own experience with "should"-ing all over myself.  When Brooks was really little, I stressed myself out with all of the things I felt he should be doing.  He should be sleeping in his crib now.  Should be nursing now.  Should be sleeping longer.  Should be having more dirty diapers.  It took me too long to realize that I needed to just relax. He knew what he was doing!

So, that's my advice for all the new mommies out there.  Your baby knows what he or she is doing.  Babies aren't trying to manipulate you.  They're either hungry, or they're not.  They're tired, or they're not.  

If your baby sleeps in his or her crib, that's great!  If your baby sleeps in bed with you, that's great too!  [Or if your baby only sleeps in their carseat...so what?!]  If what you're doing is working for your family, go with it.  Don't let anyone tell you what you should be doing.  I know I'm going to blink and Brooks is going to be 18 years old and I'll be wishing I could just snuggle up with that little tiny baby again.  


the first picture ever taken of my sweet baby.  sniff.

  Side note:  if you watch Parenthood on NBC, they do a pretty good job of portraying Crosby and Jasmine's daughter as a high maintenance baby.  The scene when Crosby won't stop the car for Adam to get in or out?! Amazing.  I can definitely relate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment